Jeff Wright
January 11, 2009
On Saturday, January 10, 2009, I was informed by Moderator Tyler Zabriskie and Assistant Moderator Brian Fry that my contract as Conference Minister would not be renewed at the end of this fiscal year. My last day as Pacific Southwest Mennonite Conference Minister will be June 30, 2009.
This was not a mutual decision, nor was it arrived at in mutual conversation. This is an action driven by the discontent of the Board as it reflects on the lack of active congregational participation in the Conference and the lack of financial giving to the Conference. Nevertheless, I accept the decision of the Executive Committee, and by extension, I accept this as the will of the Board of Directors and I accept this as the will of the Delegate Assembly of the Conference.
I have served the Pacific Southwest Mennonite Conference in multiple part-times assignments since its founding on July 1, 1994, and I also served the PSMC’s predecessors, the Southwest Mennonite Conference and the Pacific District of the General Conference Mennonite Church before that. Altogether, by the end of this fiscal year, I will have served 20 ½ years as in ministry with the Conference as youth minister, conference coordinator, regional conference minister, and in this past year, conference minister. I believe I have served in these positions with integrity, clarity, and always seeking the best for the conference as defined by the constituency with whom I was charged by the Board to work alongside. I have been blessed in the gift of this service, and I thank the PSMC for the privilege of allowing me to serve.
Debbie and I have not yet considered our future plans. At present, my role as Executive Director of the Center for Anabaptist Leadership & President-Chief Operating Officer for Shalom Ministries continues, as does my pastoral assignment at the Madison Street Church in Riverside, CA. Given the state of the national, regional, and local economy; the state of Mennonite Church USA; and, our own family situation, our future plans will need additional discernment and conversations with trusted friends and colleagues.
In January 1989, I first answered the call of God and the invitation of the conference to serve the wider church with my gifts. In the years that followed, I sought to be a zealous mission strategist, community organizer, and teacher-preacher. Not all have welcomed that combination of gifts, nor has my personality always made everyone feel comfortable. I have done a lot of apologizing over the 20+ years I have served. But now, as I see the end to my role as a bishop in this conference, I join with the Apostle Paul and echo his words in 2 Corinthians 1.12-14: “Now this is our boast: Our conscience testifies that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially in our relations with you, with integrity and godly sincerity. We have done so, relying not on worldly wisdom but on God’s grace…And I hope that, as you have understood us in part, you will come to understand fully that you can boast of us just as we boast of you in the day of the Lord Jesus.”
Because of Christ’s just peace…
###
For additional information, contact
Anne Alfred, Communications Director
Madison Street Church
909-816-2614
madison.street.church@gmail.com
For God so loved the city...
photo by John Barkman
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I am sad to read your announcement. It sounds like it was a big shock--no hint that this was a possibility.
My hope for you and Debbie is that something wonderfully unexpected opens up for you and everything falls in to place for it to happen.
You have done a superb job of keeping PSMC in front of the Mennonite Church USA. I thank you for it.
I'm holding you and Debbie "in the light" as my Quaker friends say.
blessings--
June MD
Welcome to the club! Effective leaders in the Mennonite Church who have a heart for the city seem to have a shelf life of 20 years max... Your 20 year shelf life was both effective and quite fruitful. This change will be quite a loss to the institutional church but my prayer is that it will be a greater gain for the Kingdom of God. My sojourn in the denominational structure was good and I learned many lessons that are paying off today. My prayer for you is that you will find a ministry spot where you will be released fully to use your gifts and experience!
Blessings!
Allan Yoder
I was deeply grieved to read this. And, my prayer is that the anger and pain you are presently feeling will be a place that you can walk through with grace.
Jeff, just discovered your blog. You really have poured your heart out here to an extent. Thanks for being honest!
Post a Comment